Our kidneys are bean-shaped organs which are located on each side of the spine. This pair of the organ is responsible for purifying the blood by removing excess fluids and toxins. Sometimes, the kidneys do not function properly and the improper functioning results in various health hazards such as an increase in blood pressure, swelling in the body or edema etc. Under such conditions, where kidneys fail to work properly or in case of kidney failure, renal dialysis is done. Renal dialysis is an artificial life support treatment which involves the use of a machine to perform the functions of the kidney.
There are many multi-specialty hospitals in the country that offer renal dialysis facility for patients suffering from kidney problems. You may even log on to various healthcare service providers websites such as PSTakeCare to know more about various hospitals in the country.
Renal dialysis involves cleaning your blood in an artificial way. There are two kinds of renal dialysis that can be performed:
- Hemodialysis: This procedure involves the use of an artificial kidney or haemodialyzer to get rid of waste and toxins from your body. A vascular access is created surgically, for the blood to flow to the artificial kidney. During this process, a large volume of blood gets filtered and purified. This is the most common type of renal dialysis.
- Peritoneal dialysis: This procedure can be performed at the patient’s home. This involves implanting a catheter into your belly through surgery. The dialysate is a special kind of fluid that is made to flow into your belly. This fluid helps to expel waste from the bloodstream. After the blood purification, this fluid is drained out from the body.
There are many good hospitals in the country for renal dialysis. There are also ample options for Renal Dialysis Treatment in Mumbai. You may choose any good hospital in Mumbai for the renal dialysis.
Though both types of dialysis help in purifying the blood, just like any medical procedure, renal dialysis also has certain risks associated with it. Following are the risks associated with both kinds of dialysis.
Risks associated with peritoneal dialysis are:
- Infection at or around the site of the catheter
- Increase in blood sugar due to dextrose in dialysis
- Increase in weight
Risks associated with hemodialysis are:
- Inflammation in the membrane around the heart or pericarditis
- Problems in sleeping
- Cramps in the muscles
- Low blood pressure
- Low red blood cells or anemia
- High levels of potassium in the blood
- Feeling of depression
It is very important to get renal dialysis done from a reputed hospital. If you are looking for dialysis in Mumbai, then you may choose from good Renal Dialysis Doctors in Mumbai, who are experts in the field.
Renal dialysis is an effective way to help the patients who have had a kidney failure, but renal dialysis does not cure kidney problems. In a case where both the kidneys have failed, the renal dialysis may be required for the entire lifespan of the patient or till a kidney transplant is done. Generally, renal failure is a permanent problem but in certain cases, the damage can be repaired and the patient’s kidney health can get better after the treatment. In such cases, dialysis is only required till the kidneys become better and is stopped after that.