While many people have heard of hemp oil, few are aware of the numerous health benefits that the oil provides us. First, it is important to note that hemp oil is different than marijuana. Although the two are derived from the same species, marijuana is generally distinguished by the psychoactive ingredient Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Hemp oil, however, has close to no THC in it. Hemp oil (derived from hemp seeds)is rich in nutrients, protein, fatty acids, and fiber, giving it numerous benefits. This post is designed to outline some of the benefits of hemp oil.
- Healing: Hemp contains multiple compounds including terpenes, beta-caryophyllene, and myrcene; which together promote healing of the body. While terpenes (also found in cannabis bud) help to regulate the immune system and can help as a pain reliever, myrcene has anti-inflammatory effects. In addition, it acts as an antioxidant, helping molecules move across cell membranes. Together with the fatty acids, these compounds promote healing of the body.
2) Healthy skin: Historically, hemp has been recognized for its benefits for hair and nails. Hemp’s antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties have been found extremely beneficial for the aging process. Vitamin E and fatty acids found in hemp help to counteract the aging process and increase skin elasticity. This leads to healthier looking skin, hair and nails.
3) Heart health: Hemp has a good proportion of Omega-6 to Omega-3 fatty acids. Specifically, this ratio is 3:1. This ration has been shown to support health. The fatty acids can help lower cholesterol by accelerating metabolic processes. In addition, these fatty acids help prevent degenerative diseases.
4) Immune system: In addition to helping with the healing process overall, hemp oil is especially good for the immune system. The fatty acids (which are essential in our diet) promote healthy flora (or bacteria) in the intestines. This helps our bodies resist illness, which is incredibly helpful for those of us who get sick easily.
5) Hormonal balance: Lastly, hemp oil helps us maintain hormonal balance. It contains gamma-linolenic acid, which is something our bodies often don’t get enough of. We convert the gamma-linolenic acid to protective hormone prostaglandin, a compound that regulates our hormones. This can relieve symptoms of premenstrual syndrome, as well as help with mood regulation.
In conclusion, one can see that the benefits of hemp oil are abundantly clear. From skin to organs, immune system, and even hormones, hemp oil clearly has numerous uses for the human body.